Monday 28 January 2013

SHORTS ON SHORTS: 'The Future Husband' by A.J. Ashworth

Just before Christmas, Salt Publishing had a few of it's short story anthologies on special for Kindle, including  this one Somewhere Else, Even Here. So let me just show you the Goodreads synopsis so you can understand why I might have found it intriguing...


Somewhere Else, or Even HereA girl meets with danger on the beach when she is lured away by a strange boy; a  
bereaved wife enlists the help of a mysterious woman to perform rituals that will bring her dead husband back to life; a boy’s anger at his absent father leads him towards an act of destruction in the basement of his school.

I'm a few stories into it at the moment and one of them has definitely left an impression....


In a nutshell...

A woman is watching a man from a far as he examines an Egyptian museum exhibit. She may have have had a few fantasies about him in the past... (sorry that makes it sound flippant when it really isn't)


My favourite quote...

" It says she's been scanned and X-rayed to find evidence of her past - disease or abnormality in bone and flesh; the arthritic afterglow of birth in her pelvis; the age at which she died after breathing in too much sand from Egypt's many dry and dusty desert storms."

I just love that phrase 'arthritic afterglow of birth'. Yes, I'll say it again ARTHRITIC AFTERGLOW OF BIRTH.

Ok, I'll stop now.


Bits and pieces I'll take away...

It's concise and rather beautiful and this is what I love in short stories. Whenever I try to write one, it always ends up being that little bit too long. I guess the more I write, the shorter they get? Maybe? Hopefully? Not too short though. I'm not sure I really get flash fiction.

So far, this anthology has been an interesting read, and I'll keep you posted if any more nice little nuggets crop up...







8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great collection of short stories, I will definitely be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I think I bought 4 of their anthologies in total (a bargain), so I'll let you know how I get on!

      Delete
  2. "Arthritic afterglow of birth?" Does that just mean, "Thanks, kids, for tearing my body apart!"?

    Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, arthritic afterglow of birth, that does have a wonderful poetry to it. Kind of like an oxymoron :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sounds a lot less horrible than it probably is!

      Delete
  4. That cover would have jumped out at me straight away and I am so intrigued by the sentence you shared, Anna. I hope the rest of the stories are just as good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All their covers are gorgeous Mandee, but some of the stories are a bit hit and miss so far :/

      Delete