Monday 22 October 2012

Help Required! Pretty Please...

So I have a favour to ask. I'm doing a bit of research into a few interesting topics for a few interesting reasons (secrets, secrets) and I need some help. I've been trying to get hold of some recommendations  for YA that deals with political issues, be it directly, such as elections or actual proper mentionS of political type things, or indirectly, with broader political themes.
British Politics For Dummies
THIS IS A POLITICAL BOOK...BUT NOT THE ONE I AM LOOKING FOR

Also, any YA set in the 1960s, either written back then, or set back then. Or both. Anything. I'm desperate.

And do you know what would be abso-blimmin-lutely amazing? If anyone has any tips for political YA set in the 1960s. Does such a thing exist?

I will love you forever and ever and a day if you are able to help...

2 comments:

  1. Mmmkay, so. The ones that immediately come to mind are The Wednesday Wars and Okay For Now by Gary D. Schmidt, which are both set in the sixties. Okay For Now has a story line about the Vietnam War, and I think they both have some historical references to leaders of the period, but other than that, they're not overtly political.

    I found this one on a library list:
    The Rock and The River by Kekla Magoon -
    n 1968 Chicago, fourteen-year-old Sam Childs is caught in a conflict between his father's nonviolent approach to seeking civil rights for African Americans and his older brother, who has joined the Black Panther Party.

    And there's this list:
    http://booksforteens.pbworks.com/w/page/14825062/Historical%20Fiction%3A%201960s

    And the last one I can think of: Feed by Mira Grant. It's a futuristic zombie book but it takes place during an election and follows a team of bloggers as they cover it.

    Good luck Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Catie! I'm about to add then to my tbr list :)

    ReplyDelete