Thursday 12 January 2012

Home is Where the Jaffa Cake Is...

You may or may not have noticed, there has been a substantial delay between now and my last post. I have not been a lazy heffer. Well, not all of the time. After just over two years of Australian living my brood and I have decided that a life Down Under what not what we want right now. We missed London. We missed seasonal weather. We missed Marks and Spencers. And Boots. (you UK peeps know what I'm talking about) We missed living in a cramped little flat in our little corner of West Laaarrnndon. Cramped, but close to everyone and everything we love. It's remarkable how you have to travel to the other side of the world to realise where your heart truly lies. And it turns out mine rests in the Hammersmith/Shepherds Bush borders.

Yes, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone, the grass is always greener, blah blah blah. But what about the BOOKS, I hear you ask. Well, if you're not, it's what you should be asking. And if you're not that fussed, well then I'll tell you anyway.

Here's what might be turning up on this blog in 2012 -

I'm planning a couple of themed months in the next few, er, months. First up, seeing as I won't be doing much of it in the near future, I will henceforth be designating February (or possibly March, depending on how lazy I am) the MONTH OF TRAVEL. Seeing as it's a bit of a non-month in many respects, my aim will be to brighten your dark mornings and early evenings with tales from far-flung shores and some closer to home. I'll be reviewing a bit of a mix - some travel-themed YA (coz that's what I loves reading), travel biographies, some classic travel literature. Pretty much anything that takes my fancy.



I'm also planning to do a month of Young Adult Classics. I haven't always been a YA nut. This is only a fairly recent development. So I feel like I should be genning up on the genre. I'll be looking at some big, proper classics and stuff which I, personally, consider essential reading. And maybe some books that I read as a Young Adult (because those days are long gone).


Just a quick mention of another post I'll be doing in the next couple of weeks - in honour of the impending news series one of my favourite telly shows, the magnificent SKINS, I'll be telling you all exactly why I love it so much and why I wouldn't writing YA without it. And just a bit of an excuse to post of my top clips.




And as for me, I'm hoping 2012 will be the year I knuckle down with this whole writing lark. Seeing as I won't emigrating again any time soon, I plan to be penning more articles, finishing my novel (nearly done with first draft - exciting times!) and generally being a right bore about it all.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes. Toodles for now. xx





2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I do love the sound of your travel-themed month. I especially love a good road-trip novel (and have written a post on some of my favourites, if I weren't so lazy I'd find and link it for you!) Also, YAY for classic YA :) That should make for a fun time as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think I may have to push back the travel month to March. I'm so disorganised at the moment and need to get my act together!. I will try and track down your post and will also send you DM about your Awesome Woman section :)

    ReplyDelete